The department offers a wide variety of services to meet special needs. These may include:
- Efforts are made to bring adoptable children together with approved families.
Child Protective Services
- Reports of child abuse and neglect are investigated. Services are provided to prevent child abuse and neglect.
Child Day Care
- Day care is subsidized so parents can work or train for employment.
- Services to provide for temporary emergency needs such as food, rent or utilities.
- Temporary care is arranged for children who cannot be in their own homes.
To find out more, please go to the Virginia Department of Social Services Home Page
Court Services: We provide services for court-ordered mediations, home studies & supervision. For more information, please contact us at (757) 653-3080.
Emergency Assistance: We provide services for temporary emergency needs. These services include food, rent or utilities. For more information, please contact us at (757) 653-3080.
Resources & Referrals: Agency maintains a list of local resources; providing information as requested and makes referrals as appropriate. For detailed information, please contact us at (757) 653-3080.